10 October 2010

Clouded Yellow at Margam Moors

There have been very few reports of Clouded Yellow in Glamorgan this year, in fact the only other one I have on record was seen at Merthyr Mawr Warren by Dean Bolt on 28th April. Today was a very fresh-looking specimen, presumably freshly arrived with the recent flush of Red Admirals. Also of interest was that it was in company with a Brown Argus, this being late flier, in fact only nine days short of the latest county record, this being an individual seen at Lavernock Point on 19th Oct 2006, by John Zehetmayr. Given the scarcity of Clouded Yellows this year I would be very grateful to hear of any other sightings so that they can be logged for the recording scheme.

6 comments:

Martyn Hnatiuk said...

I had my first Clouded Yellow of the year today at Newton Burrows, Porthcawl.

Barry Stewart said...

Thanks Martyn, seems there's a little lepidopteran immigration taking place - perhaps I should have set the moth trap tonight!

Barry Stewart said...

Dave Dawney wrote: 'Hi Barry. I saw a Clouded Yellow yesterday (Saturday) at Crumlin Burrows. I parked at the roundabout and saw it just after going through the gate, no photograph though.'

David Carrington said...

Tony Messinger saw one at Kenfig earlier this autumn. I think it was in September. This has been the worst year for the species at Kenfig that I remember. I hope some from this minor influx come our way.

Dan said...

Hi Barry, I had one at Whiteford Point on August 31st (roughly
SS453958). The only one I've seen this year.

Daniel Jenkins-Jones

Mark Hipkin said...

Very nice to get the photo as well as the record. As Dave has said hopefully the start a few more to come.