16 September 2010

Strumble Head

Out of this world! Well outside this county anyway. I took a trip down to Strumble Head, Pembroke's premier seawatching location with Dave Lewis today. The passage was exceptional by my own experience and I enjoyed a day that I'll not forget.

The birds recorded today were as follows
Leach's Petrel - 120, Storm Petrel - 1, Sabine's Gull - 9, (3 adults), Long Tailed Skua - 3, Pomarine Skua - 4, (2 adults with spoons), Bonxie - 38, Arctic Skua - 13, (7 Lp, 6 Dp), Black Throated Diver - 1, Red Throated Diver - 2, Sooty Shearwater - 1, Balearic Shearwater - 9, Puffin - 1, Common Scoter - 48, (3 female), Black Tern -11, Little Tern - 2, commic Tern - 46, Sandwich Tern - 75

I managed to see most of these birds except the Sooty and Storm. I would also like to say a big thank you to Richard Davies, Richard Dobbins, Graham Rees et al for good company and sharing some very useful id tips. Good luck with the rest of the season and I hope to see you all again sometime soon

By saving this link you can easily follow how the Strumble 'boys' fair for the rest of the Autumn http://www.pembsbirds.blogspot.com/

1 comment:

Highlander said...

AH HA !!! -that's where all the Bonxie's are hiding, nevermind there's always Portenyon on Sunday - I'll get one in the end.