07 September 2010

Common Dolphins at Crymlyn Burrows

I visited Crymlyn Burrows this afternoon hoping to pick up a Curlew Sandpiper. Although I didn't find any I did have a very successful trip. The prize goes to the Common Dolphins that I watched from the dunes for 30mins around 17:30. At least six, and in a flurry of activity, including one breach, I thought there may have been 10. They must have been coming in with the tide and at their closest probably no further than 400m from the dunes. There was also 1+ Grey Seal in the same area and a raft of Black-headed Gull in attendance too. Some more Terns, Sandwich this time. A couple of Arctic Terns were offshore and 1 Common Scoter and 3 Great Crested Grebe on the sea as well.
On the way way out to the beach I had 2 Greenshank in the main inlet with some Redshank. Before this I past the small pool near the golf course which had 3 Migrant Hawkers including this mating pair. Also around here were some Common Darter

Shortly after I left Terry Tovey came down to see the Dolphins and picked up 1 Curlew Sandpiper with the wader flock on the beach.

No comments: