20 September 2010

Bobolink at Eglwys Nunydd Reservoir !!!!

A Bobolink was found earlier today by Kelly "Bobolink" Thomas and Paul "Sid" Parsons at Eglwys Nunydd Reservoir. Much respect is given to these two who not only found it but recognised it as being different and got good enough views to identify it and got the news out quickly. Thanks also to Martyn Hnatiuk who gave me the call.

About the size of Skylark but much more boldly marked especially around the head and back. A very noticeable yellow wash to the bird that was noticeable in flight.

This will be the first North American passerine to be accepted to the Glamorgan list so a significant find indeed. First of many I hope!

Only my second North American Passerine in the UK the other also in Wales being a Baltimore Oriole.

This bird brought up my 150th species of bird for Neath Port Talbot this year. I was hoping it would be a bit special but never in my wildest dreams did I think it would be this good.

Birders from throughout the UK will be making their way to Eglwys tomorrow so knowing where to go will be a case of follow the crowd.

I got good views of it in the open early on and again near last light when it was skulking in the grass next to the road in the South- Eastern corner at SS79948439

No comments: