22 July 2010

Bombus hypnorum in the Garden

I am delighted to report that this evening around 6:30pm Bombus hypnorum was seen visiting flowers in the garden. I rushed inside to get the camera but it was gone by the time I got back outside. This is the first time I've seen this species. There is a possibility that this is the first record for Neath Port Talbot, however, with it being recorded a number of times in neighbouring counties to the West and to the East, it may well have been recorded before today. If anyone knows otherwise I would be most grateful if you could let me know.

3 comments:

Barry Stewart said...

Well done Mark. As far as I know yours is the the first NPT record and we now have three sites in Swansea.

David Carrington said...

Hi Mark - I've not seen one in our Porthcawl garden since early spring despite having loads of other bumblebees. Out of interest, what flower was the B. hypnorum feeding on?

Mark Hipkin said...

Hi lads, with my trusted plant expert (ie my dad) being out of the country at present I wouldn't like to say for certain. I'll sent Barry a photo (of the plant) and he'll be able to enlighten us. If I've got your email Dave, I'll sent it to you also.