06 October 2009

Goldfinches

For many years now, Goldfinches have nested in our front and rear gardens and visited my peanut feeders during the summer, only to disappear in the autumn. This spring, I invested in a couple of Niger seed feeders and have lately added a sunflower heart dispenser. The result has been dramatic. Instead of just a handful, I now have up to 30 Goldfinches at any one time and I believe that the numbers are still increasing. They do irrupt and leave periodically, but are rarely away from the garden for more than a few minutes. Many are juveniles, but there are about equal numbers of adults as well. All are finishing off their body moult, with the adults, instead of sporting red faces, now having a delicate shade of orange behind the bill. I am confident they will stay for the winter, but really should put up my mist nets to find out just how many birds are involved……

1 comment:

Barry Stewart said...

... go on do it Derek. There are plenty of birds that have been ringed at Nitten Field now just waiting to be controlled.